Gallery Framing Review
A quick review of the designs and techniques used in some of the many frame designs I have created over the years.
The work pictured here is no longer available. To see framed art that is for sale visit NewbergArt.com.
1) News Article: Burl frame with double mat, painted bevels, French line and faux burl panel to match the frame.
2) News Article. Detail of the frame and mat showing the faux burl panel.
3) Found art: silk Japanese geisha on a wood panel. Framed with silk lined back and sides for depth. Frame was built then finished for a seamless look. Called closed corner or museum frame.
4) Etching: with white linen top mat, teal undermat and a rustic timber style frame.
5) Etching: Nubby silk hand-wrapped mat with the grain vertical to echo the fireplace. Ornate, old-world style frame.
6) Silkscreen on paper: Black mat was hand-carved to allow for art's extensions. Hard to see but the bevel is painted red. The same red is used for the ruled line that follows the openings shape.
7) Limited Edition: Hand-wrapped tan linen with a red fillet between them. Rustic hand-carved style frame.
8) Colograph: Mat is textured with a gesso and shapes from the art were drawn into the damp gesso. The mats were then hand painted to echo the artwork. A gold fillet lines the mat opening and the frame pulls the whole design together.
9. Print: Matted with an extra large tan mat decorated with brown french line and and oak fillet that matches the 3" frame.
10. Oil on panel: 3" reddish brown wood frame lined in a second frame of oxidized green/gold to pull out the colors of the art.
11) Canvas Transfer: framed in green rustic frame and lined with an orange fillet.
12) Re-strike etching: framed in soft grey-green mat decorated with antique gold french lines and a panel of marbled paper. Framed in aged gold wood frame
13) Jewelry: Framed in double mat of olive green suede. A silver fillet that matches the frame and a spacer (hidden) creates enough space for the jewelry. Framed in a Art Nouveau style silver frame.
14) Oil on panel: Frame of stained, olive wood veneer with a liner frame of distressed soft gold.
15) Monoprint on paper: Teal silk mat with an extra-thick gold-leafed undermat. Geometric style gold frame.
16) Oil: Framed with a white linen liner and blue/black frame with a white gold lip